1st grade is the year that student’s reading really takes off!
Journey’s 1st grade program is designed to instill a love of learning. In these beginning years the focus is on laying a foundation that will carry our students through all the years of their formal education. Students are taught in an interactive environment designed to help them become self-reliant thinkers.
- 1st grade reading instruction continues building the foundation for strong readers that began in kindergarten. Students continue to focus on phonics, decoding, sight word recognition, print concept, and spelling.
- Students are introduced to classic literature through various genres of reading such as fantasy, non-fiction, historical, etc.
- 1st grade Students continue their learning of grammar and composition with a focus on nouns, verbs, adjectives, homophones, opposites, contractions, compound words, etc.
- Students will begin to structure their ideas into sentences and then paragraphs.
- Proper letter formation and handwriting skills are emphasized.
- Students develop complete writing pieces that coordinate with social studies and science units.
- Students receive a strong math foundation in concepts that include addition and subtraction, carrying and borrowing, multiplying by 0, 1, 2, and 10, money, time, place value, odd and even numbers, story problems, and fractional parts.
- Our math program works from fundamental concepts to complex ones as students review past concepts as they learn new ones.
- Students focus on the world around them, from their own neighborhood to across the oceans.
- Simple geography is taught including continents, oceans, and countries.
- Social Studies is taught in units that include famous Americans, historical events that shaped our country, Nevada, maps and map skills, landforms and bodies of water, holiday customs and traditions, communities, careers, and symbols of America.
- Hands-on scientific experiments allow students to become more engaged in the scientific process.
- Lessons open the world of science through inquiring, exploration, and discovery with the objective of piquing student’s curiosity to investigating further.
- Science is explored in units like the body, weather, seasons, plants, insects, simple machines, and animals.